Comparison to other package managers for new users (was: Re: Deprecating port list)

C. Florian Ebeling florian.ebeling at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 00:58:58 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 5:03 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Apr 8, 2009, at 15:23, C. Florian Ebeling wrote:

>>> Not that this idea gets lost, let's just start a wiki page. Yet I can't
>>> decide for a good name, MacPortsComparedToOtherPackageManagers sounds a
>>> bit clumsy.
>>
>> Its a bit of an introduction for already quite knowledgable users, isn't
>> it?
>> Maybe PowerUsersGettingStarted, or PowerUsersIntro would make sense...
>> The focus should be usage, and not comparision anyway, shouldn't it?
>
> The Guide explains usage. If the goal is to create a document that helps you
> migrate your knowledge from another package manager to MacPorts, then maybe
> MigratingToMacPorts, MacPortsMigration, or just Migrating would be a good
> page name.

That implies the reader stops working with Linux, which is not the
most likely case. And the whole idea of this document seem to
be a special-audience text, at the expense of having a single
documentation like the guide. Remember this is documentation,
so redundancy for the sake of understandability is acceptable.

I agree that my name suggestions where quite lame, though. Please
don't use them. :)

--
Florian Ebeling
Twitter: febeling