Binaries and alternate prefix

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Apr 9 03:35:29 PDT 2009

If we build and distribute binaries of ports.... is there a way we
can still allow the user to choose their prefix?

The prefix can be hardcoded in so many places in built ports. For
compiled libraries and binaries, we could use install_name_tool on
the client side to fix up all the paths. We could either build with -
headerpad_max_install_names or with a very long prefix, so that there
is enough space in the binary to accommodate the user's prefix. If we
used a long and particularly unique prefix at build time, then this
would also make it possible for the client to do a search/replace of
that string with the user's prefix in the port's text files.

Perhaps I'm getting ahead of things. We could begin with binaries
only available for the default /opt/local path, and think about how
to support other prefixes later.