"Lite" vs. "Full" Python Ports

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Mon Apr 13 14:19:03 PDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 05:44:33PM +0200, Rainer Müller said:
> Arthur Koziel wrote:
> > Here's how I thought of it (using hashlib as an example):
> >
> > Once the python25 port is updated, the hashlib module will be located
> > one level
> > above the "site-packages" directory. So, all "import hashlib"
> > statements would
> > result in importing the hashlib module installed by python25, not the
> > one installed
> > by py25-hashlib.
> >
> > There would still be ports depending on py25-hashlib but they would
> > work fine.
> > We could remove the dependency on py25-hashlib from other ports one by
> > one
> > and then finally remove py25-hashlib.
> >
> > Is this correct, or do I miss something obvious here?
>
> I didn't know the integrated module would be installed into another
> directory. If python25 and py25-* would not conflict on any files, this
> will work.

Right, the way the py25-* version installs it is different than if you
install it directly with python25, that's actually part of the problem with
splitting them out, as mentioned with the -S stuff on #12369:

${prefix}/lib/python2.5/site-packages/_hashlib.so
vs
${prefix}/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/_hashlib.so

There will probably be confusion however, so a FAQ entry might be nice.

Bryan