"Lite" vs. "Full" Python Ports

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Tue Apr 14 13:00:26 PDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 11:10:32AM +0200, Arthur Koziel said:

> On 13.04.2009, at 23:19, Bryan Blackburn wrote:
>>
>> Right, the way the py25-* version installs it is different than if you
>> install it directly with python25, that's actually part of the problem
>> with
>> splitting them out, as mentioned with the -S stuff on #12369:
>>
>> ${prefix}/lib/python2.5/site-packages/_hashlib.so
>> vs
>> ${prefix}/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/_hashlib.so
>>
>> There will probably be confusion however, so a FAQ entry might be nice.
>>

> That is, if you split the Python 2.5 port in "python2.5" and
> "python2.5-minimal". I thought we would just enable the core modules in
> python25, not split the port. See the "python25-reenable-libs.diff" patch
> on #12369.

Right, reintegrating those modules back into python25 would mean that things
like hashlib could be installed twice, at the two locations I mentioned,
because python25 will install into one location and py25-hashlib (which may
already be installed, since it is popular) will be at the other.

As long as the one in lib-dynload is always loaded first, it shouldn't be
too big a deal, but someone really should test it...

Bryan