Ports linking against the wrong Python.framework

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Apr 14 15:38:33 PDT 2009

Blair Zajac wrote:
>> Rainer Müller wrote:
>>> As far as I know the only advantage of the frameworks is currently to
>>> have working pythonw and IDLE. Is there really no way to get this
>>> without a framework build or did just nobody try yet?
>> The Ice Python bindings requires a framework build.  Sony Pictures
>> Imageworks whole middle-tier infrastructure is based on Ice with Python
>> clients.

I looked through the configure scripts in ice-python26 and did not find
anything special regarding framework installations. Is that your own
experience or is it documented somewhere? I also cannot find any
information on the website.

> Oh, and doesn't PyQt require a framework install?  We depend heavily on that too.

I looked around and the only reference I found is this:
<http://diotavelli.net/PyQtWiki/Mac_OS_X_Installation_Notes>

We have seen this error a lot and it usually happens when linking
against the wrong python version, e.g. mixing headers and libraries.

Yet again its configure.py demonstrate how linking against python
should not be done:

  if sys.platform == "darwin":
      # We need to work out how to specify the right framework
      # version.
      link = "-framework Python"

At least it looks like they are aware that this has issues :-) And
somehow it still seems to link correct, so I am not investigating this
any further. Other than this conditional in the configuration I did not
see anything special requiring a python framework.

Note that I did not actually try to build these ports against a
non-framework python, just looking at their configure scripts.

Rainer