GSoC: Accepted students announced

Juan Germán Castañeda Echevarria juanger at ciencias.unam.mx
Tue Apr 21 09:50:14 PDT 2009

El 21 de abril de 2009 11:22, William Siegrist <wsiegrist at apple.com>escribió:

> On Apr 21, 2009, at 9:09 AM, Juan Germán Castañeda Echevarria wrote:
>

>> A little about myself: I'm a Mexican Computer Science student who
>> currently is preparing his thesis. I love Ruby, Rails and Cocoa and I'm a
>> teacher assistant at the National Autonomous University of Mexico. Last year
>> I applied for the MPWA but I wasn't selected and this year I want to give my
>> best to help the MacPorts project.
>>

> Since you mention both Ruby and Cocoa, you might want to look at the
> MacRuby project (especially HotCocoa). I'm not sure if its mature enough yet
> for this, but I think its worth at least keeping an eye on.
>
> http://www.macruby.org/
>
> -Bill

Virginia

The sample app is intel-Leopard, I can make it universal-Leopard in a blink,
but I used some new features that are only available in Leopard
(NSPredicateEditor, some NSString messages, etc). I'll try to make a Tiger
compatible version in the next days, sorry for that.

Bill
Yes, I've looked at it a lot of times, and I don't know if it is mature
enough, lambda functions and some other things aren't implemented yet. I
made two apps with RubyCocoa, which is more mature (but ruby 1.8 based
instead of 1.9 as MacRuby) and I tried to port one of them (the one called
Lucecita http://github.com/juanger/lucecita) to MacRuby but I haven't been
able to do that yet because of some lacking functionality. Also I am willing
to improve my Obj-C with Cocoa and this is a very good opportunity :).

--
Ash Mac durbatulûk, ash Mac gimbatul, ash Mac thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi
krimpatul.