NewHelpSystem & man pages

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Apr 22 15:04:09 PDT 2009

Simon Ruderich wrote:
> The only problematic man page is portfile.7 as it is directly
> wired into the guide. I would like to remove it (or generate it
> through DocBook) and instead install the guide in
> /opt/local/share/doc/port/ so the user can access it.

Although we could install the guide locally, it would make updates only
possible with new version. If there is really need to distribute a local
version of the guide I would make it a port. But this would also mean we
would need some sort of releases for the guide. Currently, everything is
released immediately as commits happen and I don't

> We should really remove all duplication and move documentation
> either to base/doc or doc, but not in both places.

base/doc is what ships with base, doc (resp. doc-new) contains
additional documentation. If we would change this, building base would
also require doc. And moving the guide to base/doc would not be good
either, as it is developed independently (e.g. no need to branch it).

Rainer