Rationale behind naming "dot d" (.d) directories

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Wed Apr 22 23:38:12 PDT 2009

I agree that ${prefix}/var/db is far from ideal, but at least it's
documented as mutable in hier(7).  The same cannot be said for $
{prefix}/share, even though it might make more sense from a config
file vs "database" point of view.  Think of "database" in the highly
abstract sense, if it helps to reduce the ringing in your head. :-)

- Jordan