lengthy build - changed Portfile - need to continue without removing build results

Darren Weber dweber at macports.org
Fri Apr 24 13:37:48 PDT 2009

I'm working on vtk-devel Portfile and I have:
a) completed a lengthy build of VTK
b) edited parts of the Portfile that affect downstream stages from the build
(ie, destroot command)

How can I continue with the downstream stages without losing the build?

The default behavior is to clean everything when the Portfile is newer than
some state file (I don't yet understand how state files work).  I see the
following options to port that might be useful:

−f force mode (ignore state file)
−o honor state files older than Portfile
−k keep mode (don't autoclean after install)

Given everything is done up to 'port build <port>' and then Portfile is
changed to modify the destroot phase only, what is the best option to
proceed with destroot:

a) port -f destroot <port>
b) port -o destroot <port>

Thanks in advance,