hamcrest-core and backing out changes

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Wed Apr 29 12:43:43 PDT 2009

nox wrote:
> Le 28 avr. 09 à 23:21, Blair Zajac a écrit :
>
>> nox wrote:

>>> I don't see the point in having a port which installs hamcrest-core
>>> AND some other things even though it's called hamcrest-core. I
>>> thought you also changed the final jar name as it would have been at
>>> least consistent.
>>> A port installing more than it should have is in no way a more
>>> expected thing than a big port installing less than you expect it to
>>> do (e.g. python). What's the problem with one more jar? disk space?
>>
>> Since my project needs more jars than just hamcrest-core.jar.  I'll
>> create a new hamcrest port that includes all the jars.
>>

> Then, we'll need to delete hamcrest-core. Separate ports look better to me.
>
>> Also, you didn't address my point about acceptable policy in backing
>> out changes.  Next time you are backing out a change, please double
>> check before doing so.
>>

> Well, imho, your update was a major change, thus a ticket should have
> been filed.

Well, I don't see adding a single jar as requiring a ticket, as it wasn't
modifying the existing files.

But that still doesn't relate to backing out changes.  On the Subversion
project, which I'm a committer on, we have a policy of discussing (and voting if
necessary) before reverting.  I'm not against backing out the change in this
case, since you wanted hamcrest-core to just be the core jar file, which is ok,
but how it was done.

Regards,
Blair