[50222] trunk/dports/graphics

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Apr 29 17:42:06 PDT 2009

Darren Weber wrote:
> Does configure.optflags apply to CMAKE?  I don't think so.

Does not look like it does. I am not sure if this would be applicable
and how it would be done.

> While I agree that debugging during software development is better
> without optimization, the real compromise here is for the release
> version of the vtk library to contain some debug symbols (the
> optimisation is a given at the point of a stable release).  I suppose a
> pure debug port or variant could be used to provide the library with no
> optimisation and debug symbols.  However, for the most part, we should
> expect any release software that will depend on the library to run
> better with the optimised library installed.

Are you sure the debug symbols are installed at all if you use it like that?

Unlike on other systems, Mac OS X (as of Leopard) stores debug symbols
in external directories called *.dSYM by default. So if you are just
using -g, I am not even sure this will change anything what gets installed.

The cmake port groups already adds a +debug variant. I don't know cmake
internals, so I cannot tell what this -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=debugFull will
actually do and which flags it will add to compiler calls.

Rainer