renaming vtk ports

Darren Weber dweber at macports.org
Thu Apr 30 12:40:26 PDT 2009

I'm working on vtk ports this week, mainly vtk-devel.

Given prior discussion in the mailing list and ticket 19000
http://trac.macports.org/ticket/19000

We've agreed to rename:

vtk -> vtk4 or vtk44  (I've created vtk44 in the svn trunk).
vtk5 -> vtk
vtk54 -> vtk-devel  (Done, in the svn trunk.)

The svn trunk currently contains (At revision 50417):
vtk/
vtk-devel/
vtk44/
vtk5/

With
vtk @ 4.4.2
vtk44 @ 4.4.2  (This is a copy of vtk, with an old version name)
vtk5 @ 5.2.1
vtk-devel @ 5.4.0  (Still working on this)

The next step to "renaming" the ports is to move vtk5 over to vtk and then
remove vtk5, leaving

vtk44 @ 4.4.2
vtk @ 5.2.1
vtk-devel @ 5.4.0

What is the best way to proceed with this?  Maybe:

svn delete vtk
svn rename vtk5 vtk

Apart from the practicality of to change the svn repository, what are the
implications for the ports system?  I have nothing installed that depends on
these ports, so 'port dependents vtk' will not show me anything
interesting.  Is there a master dependency tree somewhere that can show what
ports specify vtk as a library dependency (or is there an easy shell command
to get this, using find to get all the Portfiles and grep or something to
pull out lines with 'vtk' or something)?  If we can identify these
dependencies, we can also change those Portfiles.

Take care,
Darren