OT launchd sleep and wake

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Sat Aug 8 12:52:52 PDT 2009

On Aug 7, 2009, at 4:33 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2009, at 13:43, Scott Haneda wrote:
>
>> Before I jump over to the launchd mailing list, I wanted to see if
>> anyone knew a way to detect a Mac going into sleep mode or waking
>> from sleep mode.
>
> [snip]
>
>> I'm aware of sleepwatcher, which seems to work semi ubreliably, so
>> I am looking for an alternative.
>
> Oh. This is the first I've heard of it being unreliable. What have
> you observed?

First, it was just reading the comments on Version Tracker, which I
sort of take with a gain of salt anyway, but it got me in the mind to
at least pay attention.

I made a very simply test case, which was to install, and I am using
the Startup Item with it, but I also have tested with ./sleepwatcher -
d as well.  I put in ~/.sleep and ~/.wakeup.  In each of those files,
I have very basic code:

#!/bin/bash
date=`date`
echo "$date Clearing out ssh-agent because we are sleeping" >> ~/
Library/Logs/sleepwatcher.log;
launchctl stop org.openbsd.ssh-agent

While the launchd may error, and cause issues, I do not think that is
the case, the basic echo line should not cause any issues.  My .wakeup
is identical other than I change "...sleeping" to "...waking"

I performed 10 total sleep and wake cycles, I ended up with only 18
lines total.  So 8 sleep and 8 wake log lines were made.  I believe it
is reliable in that if it works, it will work both on the sleep and
wake side of the equation.  My experience shows a balance in the log
lines, half are wake, half are sleep.

My only guess is that if you sleep/wake too soon, there may be some
confusion, perhaps the sleep did not fully enact, though that is just
a guess.

I will look into, and do my best to solve this, though first, I need
to solve the ssh-agent issues, or I will not even need to use this
application.  I think the first thing I will do when I get ssh-agent
playing nice, is to convert the startup item to a launchd item.