Fetching

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Wed Aug 12 07:57:01 PDT 2009

On 2009-8-13 00:49, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
> With the advent of 1.8.0, we will have a faster dependency search.  This
> will allow us to quickly find all the ports associated with a build and
> begin downloading them.  While we could perform all these downloads
> before we commence building, why not have them be done in parallel [1]?

I'd take it further and do everything in parallel if possible. This
would of course require expressing the dependency graph on a per-phase
basis, and there would need to be limits on how many ports should be in
a given phase at once (based on available bandwidth for fetch, available
CPUs/RAM for build, etc).

Something for MacPorts 2.0 perhaps. ;-)

- Josh