MacPorts 1.8 beta1: warning messages

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Wed Aug 12 23:33:59 PDT 2009

On 2009-8-13 16:23, Giorgio Valoti wrote:
> Hi,
> while building a port, I got these warnings, never seen with with
> previous versions:
>
>> Warning: Skipping upgrade since readline 6.0.000_1 >= readline
>> 6.0.000_1, even though installed variants "" do not match "+darwin".
>> Use 'upgrade --enforce-variants' to switch to the requested variants.
>> Warning: Skipping upgrade since openssl 0.9.8k_0 >= openssl 0.9.8k_0,
>> even though installed variants "" do not match "+darwin". Use 'upgrade
>> --enforce-variants' to switch to the requested variants.
>
> Is it expected? Should I reinstall/upgrade ports cited in the warning
> messages?

Not only is the warning on non-matching variants new, but there was
previously a seemingly misguided check, now removed, which prevented
+darwin from being recorded in the registry.

Use the --enforce-variants option like the message says if you don't
want to see it in future, but in this specific case, it won't change
anything about the installed software.

- Josh