Automatic homepage for sourceforge, googlecode, etc.

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Aug 22 14:00:00 PDT 2009

On Aug 22, 2009, at 15:40, Joshua Root wrote:

> On 2009-8-23 03:37, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> For projects hosted on SourceForge or Google Code or other common
>> sites
>> we have simple ways of expressing the master_sites:
>>
>> master_sites sourceforge
>>
>> master_sites googlecode
>
>> Wouldn't it be useful to be able to do that for the homepage as well?
>
>> Could we simplify it like this?
>>
>> homepage sourceforge
>>
>> homepage googlecode
>
> Meh. Having a googlecode mirror group is already rather silly IMO
> given
> that it consists of exactly one URL.
>
> Getting a very slightly shorter portfile in exchange for requiring an
> extra step to find out the actual value of these fields seems like a
> poor tradeoff.

"master_sites googlecode" does not just cause master_sites to be set
to the Google Code download URL for this project. It also causes the
livecheck to be set. I'm wanting a way to have the homepage also set.
Basically we are currently abusing "master_sites googlecode" as a way
to say "This project is hosted by Google Code." Perhaps there is a
better way to indicate that, for example using an include file like a
portgroup, where it would be simpler for anyone to read the portgroup
and see everything that happens, instead of having to figure out
where all in MacPorts base and elsewhere decisions are made relating
to this. For example, currently there is the mirror site definition
in dports/_resources/port1.0/fetch/mirror_sites.tcl and stuff
relating to the livecheck definition in base/src/port1.0/
portlivecheck.tcl and dports/_resources/port1.0/livecheck/
googlecode.tcl.