Suggestion on auto ticket filing

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Dec 1 15:13:58 PST 2009

On Dec 1, 2009, at 16:57, Scott Haneda wrote:

> On Dec 1, 2009, at 2:38 PM, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
>
>>> Can you tell me more about the gsoc project wrt MacPorts?  Where do I find the log?  I can force a portfile to fail, or look at some others that have, where do I find those logs?
>>
>> It's in the trunk version: when there's an error it'll report where it put the log.
>
> Any eta on when this hits the general users hands?

It will be in MacPorts 1.9.0, for which there is no ETA.

I think we can do a smaller 1.8.2 release before then, for which there is also no ETA, but IMHO it could occur this month. We already have a few things added to the 1.8 branch beyond what was released in 1.8.1, and several more small fixes that could be merged from trunk as well.

>> The ticketing process is currently not automated, but my ideas were geared toward the creation of such a system.  I feel most of the information can be gleaned from the server's database and port can fire up a terminal window with a specific URL to trigger an auto-population of the form (e.g., `openhttp://trac.macports.org/...port=...mpversion=1.8.99...`).
>
> Ok, cool, we are on the exact same page, that was my thinking as well.

Before we talk about technically how to auto-submit tickets, we should make sure that's what we want. Personally, I think the user needs to have some say in whether a ticket gets filed. Not every error MacPorts prints means there is a bug. For example, a checksum error may indicate a problem with the user's network. A build failure might occur if the user did not install dependencies with the right architecture (or perhaps did not follow the Migration procedure when upgrading to Snow Leopard). And what about duplicates? We don't want 100 users (or even 2 users) filing tickets for the same problem. We want users to locate existing issues in the issue tracker and only file a new ticket if their issue is not already covered.