-dev ports (Was: wxWidgets)

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Mon Dec 7 22:12:55 PST 2009

On 2009-12-8 02:59 , Freek Dijkstra wrote:
> [now with the correct sender so it goes to the list]
>
> Freek Dijkstra asked:
>
>>> I submitted a patch for the wxWidgets portfile just over two months ago.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure what the typical time is before a patch is put in the
>>> repository, but I really appreciate it if someone could do that.
>
> Joshua Root replied:
>
>> 2.9.0 is already available as wxWidgets-devel.
>
> Ah, thanks.
>
> Out of curiosity: why was this report not closed with a referal to the
> other package?

Because wxWidgets still does not build 64-bit, and that is the subject
of the bug report. It would of course be useful in the meantime to add a
check to the wxWidgets portfile to error out early if $build_arch is
something 64-bit, and recommend using wxWidgets-devel instead.

Normally it would also be useful to add a similar check in dependent
ports that changes the dependency to the -devel version (and also allow
either version to fulfil the dep), but in this case it seems that many
of the dependents won't work with 2.9.0 yet.

Actually, since the problem is Carbon, could wxWidgets be switched to an
X11-based back end instead when building 64-bit?

- Josh