Debugging symbols?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Dec 23 23:16:08 PST 2009

On Dec 23, 2009, at 21:35, J Smith wrote:

> Apologies if I'm missing something terribly obvious, but is there any
> way to build a port with debugging symbols enabled for debugging in
> gdb? I've looked around and haven't found an option, but I may be
> missing something rather obvious...

I don't think you're missing anything; I don't recall anybody asking for this before so there isn't anything built into MacPorts to accommodate that.

How would one build a piece of software with debugging symbols? Is it a configure option? an environment variable? Perhaps it varies by software? Which specific ports were you wanting this for? Some individual ports do offer debugging options, e.g. php5 has a debug variant.