[MacPorts] #18314: ruby19 nosuffix variant

Jonathon Brenner jonbrenner at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 14:44:30 PST 2009

I used a "conflicts ruby" directive to prevent problems when the 1.8 port is
active on a system. Would that work? I'm new to macports and wasn't sure
whether the directive signals conflicts with other ports or just variants.
Why would the variant get lost with the next update?

As for the reason behind it, I am running 1.9 exclusively and prefer to have
no program suffix. I thought the variant was a clean and appropriate way to
accomplish that without managing symlinks to each binary distributed with
the package (ruby, rdoc, rake, gem, ri, etc.).

Jon