Removing variants

David Evans devans at macports.org
Tue Feb 3 07:19:04 PST 2009

Using the trunk version of MacPorts, I have seen a lot of the following
type of error message recently.

Warning: Skipping upgrade since libiconv 1.12_2 >= libiconv 1.12_2, even
though installed variant +darwin_8 does not match . Specify -f to force
upgrade.

This is a consequence of removing an existing variant without changing
the version or incrementing the revision.  (This phenomenon is
not restricted to libiconv -- libiconv is just the most recent occurrence.)

Since it seems desirable to upgrade the port in this circumstance so
that the installed variants match the current port variants, I would like
to suggest that at least the revision number be incremented when
removing a variant so that a forced operation is not required.