Problems building KDE4

O illogical1 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 10:13:50 PST 2009

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 2:49 AM, Jean-Michel Pouré <jm at poure.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I spent more than 30 hours tryine to compile KDE4. Of course, I did not
> stay all this time in front of the computer.
>
> Would it be possible to help me compiling KDE4. Illogical, KDE4
> maintainer was not able to understand why compilation breaks. Connecting
> on FreeNode, most KDE-MAC developers told me they were able to compile.
I've tried to explain this multiple times but I must be doing a pretty
bad job. So let me try this again.
1. KDE 4.anything in macports will only compile properly using
_apple's_ gcc, version 4.2.
2. GNU's GCC 4.2 will not work because of its inability to compilation
code in Apple's SDK.
3. GCC 3.anything, from apple or otherwise is _probably_ too old.
4. GCC 4.0 works, but only up until a certain point because of bugs in
the compiler.
5. You're probably on 10.4 using gcc 4.0 or GNU's gcc 4.2 and they
won't work. :-/

I was able to compile on everything in 10.4 by manually installing
apple-gcc42 using the (rather poor) instructions here:
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDE_on_Mac_OS_X/Macbook_Manifesto#Tiger
But I haven't had time or resources to work on this further as my
partition with 10.4 on it died.