Ports recommending other ports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Feb 8 21:30:24 PST 2009

On Feb 8, 2009, at 21:24, Thomas de Grivel wrote:

> just thinking out loud :
> maybe we could suggest variants as well ?

I would say no to this suggestion, because a port should already come
pre-configured for the recommended setup out-of-the-box without
needing to select any variants. There may be variants to turn off
certain recommendations if appropriate, but the user can find all
that out by typing "port variants <portname>". But there is no
command that a user can type today to get a list of other ports that
are recommended in combination with a given port. In the cases I
cited (graphviz and postgresql) the user can type "port search
<portname>" and see those other ports, because they contain the
original port's name, but that may not always be the case.

> and propose building (or even rebuilding) ports with more sensible
> variants according to installed ones ?

Could you elaborate or give an example?