[MacPorts] #18408: Cannot upgrade mercurial (macports wants to reinstall latest dependencies)

robert delius royar apple at frinabulax.org
Mon Feb 9 13:16:47 PST 2009

Mon, 9 Feb 2009 (13:31 -0500 UTC) Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2009, at 2:40 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> I don't really understand the symptoms you are reporting.
>
> Robert said before that he was using 'direct' mode (+ archivemode), and this
> looks a lot like the current problems with it.

That is correct, except I have -archivemode (not using archivemode).

BTW, I finally uninstalled gettext, libiconv, python25, and mercurial
then reinstalled pyhton25 (which led to gettext and libiconv
reinstalling).  Then mercurial installed OK.  It wanted to clean gettext
and libiconv again at the outset, however, which seemed odd.

One thing that I do not like about the current python25 is that it no
longer works with readline (eventhough I have readline installed via
Macports).  The version 3 patches earlier did support readline which
meant I could edit interactive commands.  I do not use python
interactively very often, so it is no big issue.  The rationale for not
supporting readline in the Python docs says it is because of problems
with Apple's 10.4.  And the Port file adds --without-readline.  But even
removing that from the Port file configuration does not get readline
back.  I guess that is an upstream issue.

--
Dr. Robert Delius Royar                   Associate Professor of English
Morehead State University                             Morehead, Kentucky