Fetching and compiling two sources in a single Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Feb 12 12:40:38 PST 2009

On Feb 12, 2009, at 03:17, Jean-Michel Pouré wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 09:24 +0100, Rainer Müller wrote:
>> A solution would be to create mlt-c and mlt-cxx and let mlt depend on
>> both.
>
> In fact, most applications depend on mlt++. mlt++ depends on mlt. So
> installing Kdenlive would install mlt++ and trigger installation of
> mlt.
> Like this is the case under other systems.
>
> I am going to create a separate package for mlt++.

A port can easily fetch multiple distfiles if necessary, however
MacPorts only runs each phase (configure, build, destroot) once, and
making it issue multiple configure and make commands in multiple
directories basically requires reimplementing those phases yourself
in the portfile, which is a lot of work to do correctly, taking into
account all the features we have in MacPorts for nice builds and
parallel builds and universal binaries and such. Easier to just make
them two separate ports as you said.