Ports recommending other ports

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Thu Feb 12 14:44:01 PST 2009

On Feb 12, 2009, at 12:42 PM, Perry Lee wrote:

> `make config` displays a menu from which you can select build
> options (sorta like MacPorts' variants).  `make config install`
> shows the menu then starts the installation right after.

"config" is already pretty close to "configure", which MacPorts
already exposes as a discrete step (and I don't believe FreeBSD ports
does) - perhaps this could be called "customize" or "custom"?  Then
you could say things like:  "port custom build" or "port custom
install" and get a customization screen of some sort which lets you
select from the available variants, also showing you (through checked
items in the menu) which variants were already on by default.  That
would be pretty cool, and fairly easy to whip up by adding a curses-
using extension to the ui_* procedures (ui_menu perhaps) and the
requisite glue to support the new "custom" target.

Sounds like a great intern project.  Got any? :-)

- Jordan