MacPorts 1.7.1

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Feb 18 01:03:48 PST 2009

Has anyone been running the 1.7 branch? Found any problems with it?
Should we release MacPorts 1.7.1 soonish? It's been two months since
1.7.0. You know what they say: release early, release often!

We have these changes on the 1.7 branch already:

     - Add 'apple-gcc-4.2' option to configure.compiler (#18426,
ryandesign)

     - Create ${applications_dir} and ${frameworks_dir} in destroot
       automatically (r45614, raimue)

     - Make the postflight procedure a bit smarter about which login
files
       to update for bash and tcsh (#17588)

     - Add error messages to package installers when the wrong OS
package
       is being installed (#13141)

We could merge in these additional small changes that are on trunk:

     - Add new "use_7z yes" port option to allow distfiles in 7z format
       (#18521, ryandesign)

     - port lint no longer requires variable master_sites if the port
has no
       distfiles (#18479, ryandesign)

     - Upgrade will no longer accept ports that are not installed
(but it still
       installs new ports as dependencies if needed). In particular,
this means
       that "port upgrade all" will no longer proceed to install every
       available port. (jmr in r46052)

     - Add mkdtemp Tcl command to create temporary directories.
(#17181, perry)

These are the remaining changes on trunk that are described in the
ChangeLog; not sure whether should merge these. In particular I would
like to not merge changes that significantly change the output of a
port command (like #11891).

     - Add several new options to port search (#15434, raimue)

     - Add xpkg archive type, xar-based format with XML. (afb)

     - Split portpkg creation out from portsubmit phase. (afb)

     - Make dependencies displayed in port info respect variants
       specified in variants.conf; collapse port deps to be an alias
       for port info with appropriate flags. Note this changes output
       format of port deps somewhat.  (#11891, gwhitney)

     - Make dependencies in port upgrade respect variants as specified
       (in order of precedence) on command line, latest installed
       version, or variants.conf .  (#8221, gwhitney)

     - Add select action, which integrates *_select tools into port.
       (#17477, perry)

     - The variants action additionally shows default variants,
conflicting
       variants and variants' dependencies. (#14178, #15628, perry)

     - Implicit variants (e.g., darwin) can no longer be explicitly
       set/unset. (#12563, perry)

There are probably also other changes on trunk that are not described
in the ChangeLog.