gsoc08-privileges branch merged

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Wed Feb 18 16:56:01 PST 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 08:42:04PM +1100, Joshua Root said:
> I just finished merging the changes from the gsoc08-privileges branch
> back into trunk. This of course has the potential for breakage, though I
> changed the default back to running as root, so you should hopefully not
> see any problems unless you pass --with-macports-user=you to configure.

My initial observations:

 - the added 'make group' is Darwin-specific since it uses dseditgroup, do
   we want to make that more portable or document it's Darwin-only?  Or
   Mac-only if it isn't available on puredarwin either.

 - from MP_CHECK_NOROOTPRIVILEGES, when I use --with-no-root-privileges and
   user/group selections, I get an error:

checking for Tcl package directory... ./configure: line 6995: ~blb/Library/Tcl: No such file or directory
~blb/Library/Tcl

   but since I also used --with-tclpackage it used that and installed fine.

 - in MP_CHECK_RUNUSER - since RUNUSR is currently hardcoded as root, should
   we disable the configure option for now?  Also, remove it from
   macports.conf.in, until it works (so nobody sees it there and thinks
   they can change it)

 - shall we remove all the '# start/end gsoc08-privileges' comments?

 - in portutil.tcl:

<http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/base/src/port1.0/portutil.tcl#L1499>

   should we use 'file nativename ~${username}' instead of guessing /Users or
   /home?

Bryan

[...]