How to adapt ports to different versions of Python

Uldis Bojars captsolo at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 15:37:41 PST 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 11:05 PM, Bryan Blackburn <blb at macports.org> wrote:
>> > b) remove PortGroup from py-rdflib and add variants "python24" and
>> > "python25" to it ?
>>
>> Some ports (for example [1]) use variants python24, python25, ...
>> instead of PortGroups. Could you please tell what is wrong with the
>> other approach (used by ports such as [1])?
>
> redland-bindings doesn't use a python port group; if you do use a port group
> you have to break out the port into multiple (py-, py25-, etc).  This is
> unfortunately the way it is for now, until ticket #16723 is implemented:

Why do you need port groups?

If you create variants for different variants then you would need to
remove port from a port group. Fine. What I am trying to understand
here is if there is anything wrong with doing that - does a port break
if changed this way?

Thanks,
Uldis

[ http://captsolo.net/info/ ]