gcc_select confusion

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Feb 23 02:03:16 PST 2009

Neil wrote:
> I'm slightly confused as to the *_select naming, particularly for gcc...
>
> For example:
> The built-in python is selected with "python25-apple".
> The port python25 is selected with "python25".
>
> But with gcc_select, "gcc40-apple" refers to the port gcc40-apple...so
> how do I select between the built-in/Xcode gcc40, the gcc40-apple
> port, and the vanilla gcc40 port?

It's true, that's quite confusing. This has it's historic reasoning as
/usr/bin/gcc has ever been the default compiler, so gcc4x actually
refers to gcc versions provided by Xcode. To select versions installed
by MacPorts, you need to use mp-gcc4x.

You can use 'gcc_select -l' to see all versions currently available on
your system.

Rainer