gcc_select confusion

Neil kngspook at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 12:06:23 PST 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 10:44 PM, Rainer Müller <raimue at macports.org> wrote:

> Neil wrote:
> > On my system, only gcc-4.0 shows up in gcc_select (though in Xcode I
> > have a selection of 5 different ones); how would I get others to show up
> > in gcc_select?
>
> What other versions do you see in Xcode?
> I assume gcc 4.2 and llvm-gcc 4.2 at least, what else?
>
> I submitted a ticket some time ago to add gcc42 and llvm-gcc42.
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/17458

On Xcode 3.1.2 (with iPhone DevKit, though I highly doubt that matters), I
see:
GCC 3.3, GCC 4.0, GCC 4.2, GCC System Version (4.0), LLVM-GCC 4.2.

I not installed any GCCs from MacPorts, and I'm not quite sure what the
difference is between GCC 4.0 and GCC System Version (4.0)...  (I actually
hadn't noticed that until now...)

> > I suppose in that case, we could use "-system" (or "-builtin" or
> > "-distrib" or something else) as a prefix/suffix.
> >
> > But I feel like it's counter-intuitive to have "python25-apple" be the
> > built-in/system python, and "gcc40-apple" be something installed by
> > MacPorts (which confused me for quite some time).  And it seems
> > inconsistent to label the MP's gcc's "mp-gcc40", but MP's Pythons a
> > prefix-less "python25".
>
> The problem is we have a different policy for python than for gcc. We
> prefer python from MacPorts, but gcc from Xcode.

Do you think we need to change the naming conventions for that though?