[47216] trunk/dports/science/gwyddion/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Feb 27 17:26:40 PST 2009

On Feb 27, 2009, at 18:44, Orville Bennett wrote:

> On Feb 27, 2009, at 7:41 PM, Orville Bennett wrote:
>
>> On Feb 24, 2009, at 6:52 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> Apple does not provide an automatic software update mechanism for
>>> Xcode. You must update Xcode by logging in to ADC, downloading a
>>> disk image, and installing the package from the disk image.
>>> Accessing ADC requires a membership, but basic membership is free.
>>
>> but finding anything but the most recent version of xcode is hard.
>
> Well that was a mostly useless comment. Let's try again:
>
> but finding anything but the most recent version of xcode is hard.
> How about adding a link to each version needed in the ui message?

In another thread I mentioned the desire to make all MacPorts error
messages short and sweet, and include a URL to a wiki page explaining
the message further. So I would be against any change that makes the
error messages themselves much longer or include URLs to Xcode
downloads.

We want users to use the most recent version of Xcode for their OS.
Links to the latest version for Leopard, Tiger and Panther are in the
Guide:

http://guide.macports.org/#installing.xcode