cairo on Tiger: can't locate file for: -lXrender

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at macports.org
Wed Jan 14 19:12:23 PST 2009

On Jan 14, 2009, at 18:15, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> I can't install cairo on Tiger:

<snip/>

> Here are the xorg ports I have installed:
>

> $ port installed xorg-*
> The following ports are currently installed:
>  xorg-bigreqsproto @1.0.2_0 (active)
>  xorg-inputproto @1.5.0_0 (active)
>  xorg-kbproto @1.0.3_0 (active)
>  xorg-libpthread-stubs @0.1_0 (active)
>  xorg-libX11 @1.1.5_1+universal (active)
>  xorg-libXau @1.0.4_0+universal (active)
>  xorg-libxcb @1.1_0+universal (active)
>  xorg-libXdmcp @1.0.2_0+universal (active)
>  xorg-renderproto @0.9.3_0 (active)
>  xorg-util-macros @1.2.1_0 (active)
>  xorg-xcb-proto @1.3_0+python26 (active)
>  xorg-xcmiscproto @1.1.2_0 (active)
>  xorg-xextproto @7.0.4_0 (active)
>  xorg-xf86bigfontproto @1.1.2_0 (active)
>  xorg-xproto @7.0.14_1 (active)
>  xorg-xtrans @1.2.2_0+universal (active)
> $
>

> The xrender port is not installed. It had been, but then r43644 and
> r43686 changed xrender to a lib dependency and sometime later I
> uninstalled it. Does anyone know (Jeremy?) what should be done here?

The problem is with your xorg-lib* libs.  Cairo is finding all of them
in /mp, so it's expecting -lXrender to be in /mp as well.  Mixing libs
between x11prefix and prefix actually causes problems (see #17558).
I'd recommend one of two courses:

1) uninstall xorg-lib* and set the +system_x11 variant, so they are
just stubs when we switch to port:* dependencies

or

2) Just install xorg-libs to make sure you have all the X11 libraries
in /mp.

You should probably go through and rebuild everything that depends on
X11 to make sure you have consistent linking