[MacPorts] #18286: mlt framework port

David Evans devans at macports.org
Fri Jan 30 10:42:17 PST 2009

Jean-Michel Pouré wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 15:21 +0000, MacPorts wrote:
>
>>  This port is not compiling, probably because it needs a sox upgrade.
>> But I
>>  am creating the ticket and will update the port attached file from
>> time to
>>  time.
>>

> Please note that MLT requires a very recent FFmpeg, as FFmpeg was
> massively fixed a few weeks ago, mainly with timestamp issues in H264
> and Mpeg2. So there may be a need to compile MLT against FFmpeg-devel.
>
> In fact, the FFmpeg version in MacPorts is deprecated. It is too old and
> too buggy and I don't see any interest in keeping it. Maybe it could be
> replaced with a more recent snapshot of FFmpeg SVN. This is why I left
> ffmpeg as a dependency.
>
> Kind regards,
> Jean-Michel

Yes, this is a problem in more ways than one.   In principal, ffmpeg
should be updated to a more
recent revision but to proceed beyond the current one breaks the API/ABI
for libavcodec (version
52 vs 51).  Version 52 is not backwardly compatible with Version 51.
Hence ffmpeg-devel which
attempts to provide a newer version for people who don't mind the API
change.

Additionally, there are other problems.  For instance right now
ffmpeg-devel has libx264 support
disabled because the current x264 port is too old to build against it.
On the other hand, the newer
version of x264 that builds with ffmpeg-devel has apparently changed its
API as well and so it
will not build with ffmpeg -- ffmpeg requires the older one.

Same sort of thing with speex and speex-devel.  ffmpeg-devel will only
build against speex-devel.

To upgrade ffmpeg itself to a later revision, all ports that depend upon
it need to be identified and
evaluated to see if they can live with the new API.  I assume that
applications that use ffmpeg
are in the process of switching upstream but the status of that is
unknown to me at this point.

It looks to me that we need to start this process and get rid of
ffmpeg-devel before things get too
far out of hand.

Would you like to help?

Dave