Various questions

David Evans devans at macports.org
Fri Jan 30 12:55:42 PST 2009

Jean-Michel Pouré wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 12:10 -0800, David Evans wrote:
>
>> Is r15943 good enough for your purposes or does it need to be
>> incremented to a later revision?
>>

> Thank you very much for the explanations. For using MLT and Kdenlive in
> good conditions, we really need a cutting edge ffmpeg-devel version.
> Debian multimedia provides SVN 20090128, which is r16844.
>
>  ffmpeg -i
> FFmpeg version SVN-r16844, Copyright (c) 2000-2009 Fabrice Bellard, et
> al.
>
> This is mainly a timestamp issue. Video editing is more precise and
> audio is well synced with a very recent snapshot.
>
> If you want, when I have SVN access, I can bump Debian multimedia SVN
> versions to stick to them. FFmpeg is usualy upgraded twice a month,
> depending on fixed in FFmpeg.
>
> I will be able to help the best I can, knowing that I use a remote
> MacOsX computer and that this computer will not be here forever. But
> there will be probably other people in the kdenlive community willing to
> help and maintain Kdenlive/MLT/FFmpeg.
>
> Kind regards,
> Jean-Michel

Great, I'm working on creating a list of ports that depend on ffmpeg in
some sense then we
can split them up and see what happens when they try to build against
ffmpeg-devel.  Hopefully,
its not a long list.  Already I see that some apps that claim to be
using ffmpeg use an internal
snapshot of some previous version and disavow any responsibility if you
use an external version
(gimp-gap for instance which really only uses ffmpeg to load video for
editing in gimp).

I'll try ffmpeg-devel at r16844 and see what happens.  Don't want to
update too often
as people may object to rebuilding all the time since its a big build.
So probably want
to pay attention to what changes are being made and update only when
something significant
happens.  Right now the upstream developers are actually talking about a
0.5 release!

NB Fedora 10 is now using the 20080908 snapshot of ffmpeg.

Dave