Looking for a solution to compile MacPorts and maintain my packages

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jul 1 18:12:50 PDT 2009

On Jul 1, 2009, at 15:06, Toby Peterson wrote:

> On Jul 1, 2009, at 1:04 PM, Jean-Michel Pouré wrote:
>
>> Finally I bought a dual processor Powermac G4 for 99€:
>> http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260437468424
>>
>> It comes with Mac OS X 10.4, but I will try to upgrade it to 10.5.
>> Then
>> I will start compiling and try to chase bugs under PowerMac.
>
> Getting Leopard running on that machine will be quite an adventure...

I have Leopard working on my 466-MHz Power Mac G4. So that's a
generation or two newer than the 450-MHz G4 Jean-Michel bought. I
used LeopardAssist [1] to bypass the 867-MHz Leopard installer check.

There are a number of issues. Leopard assumes you have a graphics
card at least as new as the 867-MHz Power Mac G4 it requires as a
minimum, so on a lesser machine, there are some graphics glitches.
The DVD player is useless unless you copy over the graphics drivers
for your graphics card from a Tiger installation. And of course these
are very slow machines we're talking about, by today's standards.
Some of the larger ports take mine days to compile. I have mine set
up exclusively to help me fix PowerPC-specific issues I encounter in
MacPorts; thankfully those are rare. I would not want to use it as a
primary development machine.

I don't read French so I couldn't tell if your G4 is a single- or
dual-processor model. If dual, you'll want to enable multiple
simultaneous build jobs to speed things up. In /opt/local/etc/
macports/macports.conf, set build_make_jobs to the number of
simultaneous jobs you want (which some people recommend setting to
either the number of processors or cores you have available, or one
greater than that number). Set build_make_jobs to 0 and MacPorts will
determine the number of processors or cores you have available and
use that number of jobs.

[1] http://www.mac.profusehost.net/leopardassist/