tar version comparison

Darren Weber dweber at macports.org
Thu Jul 2 11:54:42 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:

> On 2009-7-2 07:16, Darren Weber wrote:
> >
> > I need to test if the system has a tar version between 1.14 and 1.14.90,
> > what is the best way to do this in tcl?
>
> Toby has answered your question, but it seems like you'd be better off
> just depending on gnutar rather than messing around doing different
> things for different tar versions.
>
> - Josh

Yes, so a dependency on gnutar is an option, but what if it's installed with
the variant,

  with_default_names: Install files without 'gnu' prefix

I suppose then the script has to check for the right command - tar or gnutar
- and if it uses tar there will have to be a check for the version of tar
that's called (or at least a check for `which tar` to confirm that it's
$prefix/bin/tar).

Thanks,
Darren