tar version comparison

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jul 3 06:24:30 PDT 2009

On Jul 2, 2009, at 13:56, Darren Weber wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Toby Peterson wrote:
>
>> pextlib provides 'rpm-vercomp' which probably does what you want.
>
> Is this command available in a Portfile?  Where are the docs on how
> to use it?

I don't know if it was originally intended for rpm-vercomp to be used
from portfiles, but it is currently being used in several portfiles
to check that the user has a new enough version of Xcode installed;
see e.g. libpixman. I also sometimes use it to check that the version
of an installed dependency is new enough; see e.g. pango.