[53388] trunk/dports/_resources/port1.0/group/muniversal-1.0.tcl

Marcus Calhoun-Lopez mcalhoun at macports.org
Sat Jul 4 14:06:42 PDT 2009

Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu at ...> writes:

> On Jul 4, 2009, at 12:49, Marcus Calhoun-Lopez wrote:
>
> > -arch was used over -m once before (see
> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2009-April/008158.html)
> > , but was changed back
> > due to the reasons given in the message.
> >
> > Is there a compelling reason -arch should be preferred now?
>
> Well,
>
> "-arch ppc -arch i386 -arch x86_64 -m64" (which is done currently when
> ppc,i386,x86_64 are chosen) results in gcc trying to build ppc64 code...
>
> -arch is more correct.

In the muniversal PortGroup and the base code changes I am finally getting
close to finishing, having multiple architecture specifications
(as in your example) would be a bug (it should never happen).

For a few examples (e.g. gmp) something like -arch ppc64 -m64 could happen,
but I do not believe that is a problem.

The choice then is between one -arch ... or one -mXX.
It seems to me -mXX should be the default for the reasons outlined in
http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2009-April/008158.html

-Marcus