Shared access to Mac OS X: how to manage wakeonlan and sleep

Jean-Michel Pouré jm at poure.com
Tue Jul 7 00:46:18 PDT 2009

Le mardi 07 juillet 2009 à 09:27 +0200, Rainer Müller a écrit :
> I don't know any way how to prevent the Mac going to sleep while there
> is SSH activity.

I think we could look for shell activity. It needs some testing but
$ps -ac | grep bash

returns the working user shells. I configured screen Unix utility to use
bash shell. We should also include in this shell a working screen (VNC).

So the best on SSH logout would be test the number of working shells and
go to sleep mode within 5 minutes when no shell activity exists.

> The tool pmset offers various controls for power management. The
> command
> 'pmset noidle' prevents sleep mode for the time it is running. This
> could probably be helpful.

On the converse any SSH access needs to disable sleep mode.

The Mac G4 seems to be power consuming. It warms up my cellar.

Bye,
Jean-Michel