GSOC09 MacPorts GUI

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at macports.org
Tue Jul 7 23:41:50 PDT 2009

Hi Juan,

That looks very promising.  I'm excited about this work.  I do have a
few questions.

1) Do you plan to support categories?  Ports list categories that they
belong to, so it would be nice to have a browsing option that allows
us to "expand" categories.

2) How are variants handled?  Do you have a gui way to edit $prefix/
etc/macports/variants.conf?  What about per-port variants at install
time?

3) You said, "I’m working into getting that separate process to be
part of the Framework and also make it send notifications back to the
Framework to know the progress of the port command being run." ... I'm
curious what level or notification you are designing.  It would
probably be nice to have a window that shows a general progress bar
for the current port/stage... but for debugging purposes, it would be
helpful if this could be expanded via "Details" button or similar to
show the verbose or debug output.

4) Do you plan to have a preferences interface to common $prefix/etc/
macports/macports.conf options?

Thanks,
Jeremy