GSOC09 MacPorts GUI

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Jul 17 07:03:21 PDT 2009

Hi Juan,

first of all you are doing good on this so far. But I also have some
comments and proposals:

First of all, the initial loading of the port list takes a long time
about 1-2 minutes for my installation. How is this list being retrieved?
Could this be made faster? For example, instead of calling
registry::installed <portname> on each port, call registry::installed
once to get a list of all installed ports.

Also there is the possibility to have ports installed which are no
longer in the index. They can be found with port(1) using the 'obsolete'
pseudo-port on trunk. I think those would not be shown at all in the
current port list.

Where did you get the icons for the toolbar from? We have to be careful
about licenses when using icons from Apple.

On 2009-07-07 21:17 , Juan Germán Castañeda Echevarria wrote:
>     * Support for non-default MacPorts installation locations. (Via the
>       Preferences window)

The whole thing crashes with a "Bus error" if I select a wrong path. It
should fail more gracefully, please.

>     * Basic and Advanced Search (currently can only search by port name
>       and status, but this is easily extendible)

After clearing the search field and removing the filter bar, the view is
still filtered. It should show all ports again.

>     * Install, Uninstall, Upgrade port operations in background
>     * Sync and SelfUpdate in background

Usually such operations require root privileges. I read the note that it
does not work yet with such an install. But anyway, do you have plans
how to handle that for a default /opt/local install?

Additionally these MPProcesses seem not to be correctly terminated and
are still around after closing MPGUI.app.

>     * Progress notifications and cancel command. I’m thinking in having
>       this as a activity window (Something like Safari’s downloads
>       window) and allow the user to queue port commands to perform then
>       sequentially.

Currently no commands are indicating success or failure, I hope that
will change with this :-)

Rainer