portname with +

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jul 27 06:47:18 PDT 2009

On Jul 27, 2009, at 08:05, Takeshi Enomoto wrote:

> 2009/7/27 Toby Peterson <toby at apple.com>:
>> Same problem with pcre++, see http://trac.macports.org/ticket/20046
>
> Thank you for pointing to this information.
>
> I will change the port name. I will just leave + out.

The convention so far has been to change the "+" to an "x". (port
echo name:xx will show you some of them.) But I see you've already
renamed the port "vis5d".

Note that changing a port's name is a problem for anyone who had the
port installed under its old name. They will not know that you have
changed the port's name and will not be informed of any updates under
the new name. You could leave a "vis5d+" stub port that installs only
a read me. There are some other stub ports around you could copy
from. MacPorts 1.8.0 will have a "replaced_by" keyword which will
make stub ports simpler.

> It would be nice if port lint could check characters port name may
> use.

That would be a good idea. Could you file a ticket for that?

I imagine lint also needs changes for "replaced_by" -- if a port has
"replaced_by" I expect a lot of our other requirements for what a
port must have no longer apply.