[51027] trunk/dports/devel

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jul 29 05:38:35 PDT 2009

On May 16, 2009, at 14:40, Toby Peterson wrote:

> Many/most ports that do use $CPP probably only run it on one file, in
> which case it will behave as expected. Also, I have run into this
> before: http://trac.macports.org/changeset/40070

Ok, I didn't realize. r40070 clears configure.cpp for sdcc.

In r51272 I see you removed setting CPP in base for gcc 4.2 only.
This surprised me because we never talked about removing this for gcc
4.2 only; I thought we were talking about making or not making
general changes to MacPorts. And I'm worried r51272 will break ports
that try to use ${configure.cpp} -- we currently have a few that do,
in an effort to ensure they are using the right compiler:

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/UsingTheRightCompiler

We were pondering recently why Xorg software looks for the variable
RAWCPP instead of CPP:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/20190

It dawned on me that this probably is related to what you were
saying. What if MacPorts were to grow a new variable,
configure.rawcpp, containing the path to cpp (i.e. what configure.cpp
has been thus far), and change configure.cpp to be "${configure.cc} -
E"? Would that be consistent with the intended use of these
environment variables?