Just for fun, I uninstalled everything...

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Tue Jun 2 21:20:04 PDT 2009

On Jun 2, 2009, at 9:05 PM, Bryan Blackburn wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 08:46:03PM -0700, Scott Haneda said:
>> I ran a sudo port -df uninstall installed
>> I then ran a local port install assp I am working on, any idea what
>> is up
>> with netaddr-ip.  It is my port file, and it worked before.
>>
>> --->  Attempting to fetch NetAddr-IP-4.023.tar.gz from ftp://ftp.cpan.org/pub/CPAN/modules/by-module/NetAddr
> [...more fetch failures...]
>
> It looks like that particular version of the distfile isn't
> available on
> CPAN, so it fails to fetch.  4.024 (the current port version) is
> available,
> as well as the latest 4.026.
>
> If it worked before I'm guessing you had the 4.023 distfile then,
> and ended
> up deleting it via some method (clean --all, clean --dist, or manual
> removal
> of files in ${prefix}/var/macports/distfiles/perl5).

Good, my thoughts exactly.  So when someone makes a port file, and
they target a version number, it is only reliably going to work for
the period of time from that s-ware having that version number, up to
the point in time that version is bumped to a higher version?

How do you suggest I edit this port file to make it bullet proof?  One
way would be for me to host the file, or for ports to host the file,
or there is a third way to bring reliability to this situation I am
not seeing.

Thanks