Forcing a variant to a variant

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Thu Jun 4 17:20:19 PDT 2009

On Jun 4, 2009, at 4:18 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> The goal is not duplication, but separation, so that you can declare
> dependencies on those separate parts. The clamav port would then
> install everything clamav except the server component, and the
> clamav-server port would install only the clamav server component
> (and depend on the clamav port). See the postgresql83 and
> postgresql83-server ports, and the mysql5 and mysql5-server ports
> (now committed), for examples.

For fun, trying t make clamav-server.
Duplication will have to happen on name, desc, long desc,  I assume?
Version probably does not matter in any strict sense, as it is not
really downloading anything?

port clamav has other variants though
variant clamav_milter description {build with libmilter support} {
			depends_lib-append port:libmilter
			configure.args-append --enable-milter
}

So with +server and +clamav_milter what do you do?  I am now seeing
the need for these ports:

clamav - base port, gets you cpam
clamav-server - depends on clamav but installs a startup item
clamav-clamav_milter - depends on clamav, but installs clamav_milter
clamav-server-milter - depends on clamav, gets you milter and the
startup item

I need some guidance here, I am seeing this very quickly getting out
of hand where there are ports with more than one variant.

If I need assp to depend on clam, and clam to have +server and
+clam_av_milter, what do you suggest?  * I do not need milter at this
time, just wondering.

I am leaning on just not including the clamav as a variant for assp,
but it is so logical to have it at the same time.