Forcing a variant to a variant

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jun 4 17:56:43 PDT 2009

On Jun 4, 2009, at 19:52, Scott Haneda wrote:

> port install assp
> Within that port, assp will depend on clamav, but since I can not
> define a variant for clamav +server, I have to make a clamav-server
> port.  Fine up to that point.
>
> Now, what is I want clamav +server +clamav_milter available to the
> assp port?
> My port install command would be port install assp still, there
> would still be a call in there to clamav-server, where does the
> milter go in?

It does not.

When I spoke earlier about creating a clamav-server port, I was
speaking of the +server variant only, not any of the other variants.
The clamav_milter variant, for example, is, I believe, integrated
into the clamav software. The variant adds the configure argument --
enable-milter. This presumably causes the clamav software to build
additional libraries, or modify the libraries it builds in some way.
You probably can't separate that into a separate port.

If there is a file clamav+clamav_milter installs that regular clamav
does not, you can detect the absence of that file in your assp port
and issue the appropriate error message. See the pango port for an
example (it checks that the cairo port is installed with the correct
variants).