[51868] trunk/dports/devel/git-core/Portfile

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Fri Jun 5 22:49:55 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 04:25:45PM -0500, Ryan Schmidt said:

> On Jun 5, 2009, at 16:05, Bryan Blackburn wrote:
>
>>> As with svn.revision, I must ask: why have we set up port lint to
>>> state
>>> that livecheck.check is deprecated, when *it is not deprecated yet*? I
>>> love that we have fixed the naming of svn.tag and livecheck.check,
>>> but we
>>> *cannot* mark an old feature as deprecated until we release a version
>>> of
>>> the software containing the replacement feature.
>>
>> It's only deprecated on trunk, but lint on the server of course isn't
>> just
>> 1.7.  If you're suggesting we don't deprecate it until 1.8 is released,
>> then
>> the deprecation stuff wouldn't be all that well tested.
>
> All I'm saying is that the situation we have is not working. This is not
> the first time someone has run "port lint", thought they should change
> something because "port lint" said it was deprecated, but this ended up
> breaking the port for anyone not running trunk.

True, but the only other avoidance of a deprecation that I recall was by me,
and I used if statements so that it works with both 1.7 and trunk...

> My vote would be for "port lint" not printing a message until after 1.8.0
> is released. That would avoid the problem. We can mark these things as
> deprecated after that, and make the message appear for users in 1.8.1.

So technically not deprecate until 1.8.1 (or X.Y.1) by backing it out for
now, then re-adding to trunk and merging to the 1.8 branch after release?  I
suppose we could keep a ticket around for tracking such deprecations needed
for each major release so they aren't otherwise lost.

Bryan