Is it time to start regression testing yet?

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at macports.org
Sat Jun 6 14:09:25 PDT 2009

On Jun 6, 2009, at 13:31, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> What I'm essentially proposing is that a testing harness be built
> which:
>
> 1. Iterates through all Portfiles on the system, save those
> explicitly marked "Broken" (which will be periodically swept and
> marked for extermination after a short jury trial).
> 2. For each Portfile, introspects it for any and all explicit
> variants and then does n builds, where build #1 is "the default
> configuration" and subsequent builds are for each of the variants it
> advertises.

This part feels a bit tricky to me.  There are many ports which
expect, "if I have variant X, then all my dependencies were built with
variant X as well."  Should we actually put in test code to sanity
check these configurations?  I argue that effort would be better spent
developing variant-based dependencies (yes, this is my Gentoo
background speaking here...)

Furthermore, this 'n' tends to grow quite quickly when you consider
that a port should be tested not only with all permutations of its
variants but all permutations of its dependencies variants as well!
This testing is something that I believe is completely infeasible at
this moment.

I would argue that as a starting point, we need to define a few sets
of common configurations and test just those variants for all ports.
Suggestions:

1) default
2) +no_x11 +quartz
3) +aac +mp3 +mad +lame +ogg +vorbis +theora +x264
+all_the_media_variants_you_can_think_of
4) some kind of "web-server" variant set... like +apache +mysql +php