Sip 4.8 / PyQt 4.5

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jun 8 11:48:15 PDT 2009

On Jun 8, 2009, at 04:19, vincent habchi wrote:

>> New portfiles should typically be contributed by filing a ticket
>> in the issue tracker and attaching the new portfile there.
>>
>> http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets
>
> Ok, I'll do that. Sorry for the noise.
> Also, as soon as the software are released, I'll be adding a couple
> of new ports.

Hi Vincent. I've now had a brief look at your portfiles, and I now
understand, these are not new ports as I originally thought, but
updates for existing ports which you do not maintain, which is why
you didn't commit them yourself. Ok.

But there are a few problems. First, you have changed the whitespace
of every line of py26-sip and all but two lines of py26-pyqt4. This
makes it very hard to see what actual substantive changes were made.
If you want to propose that py26-sip be updated to 4.8 and py26-pyqt4
be updated to 4.5, then submit only the minimal changes required to
effect that update. Don't include unrelated changes, like whitespace
changes. If you would also like to propose whitespace changes, do so
in a separate patch. Whitespace changes and functional changes should
not be committed together.

Second, based on the $Id$ line at the top of your new py26-pyqt4
portfile, it's not based on the latest version. Your py26-pyqt4 is
based on r49597, so it does not include the change made in r50556
which resolved #19449. So committing your new portfile would likely
re-introduce the bug that was fixed.

Third, your new py26-sip is marked as being maintained by saispo, but
saispo has never maintained py26-sip as far as I can tell. The
current maintainer is and always has been mcalhoun.

Fourth, when updating existing ports, it's usually best to submit
diffs, not complete new portfiles. This helps you meet the above
goals, because a diff clearly shows each line that was removed and
added, and you can confirm for yourself before submitting that each
line does in fact accomplish whatever task you've set out to do. For
example, if you want to update py26-pyqt4 to 4.5, every line of the
diff you submit should relate to updating the port to 4.5.